Register of the Chattanooga Civic Chorus Collection
MS 009


This is a finding aid. It is a description of the contents of an archival collection held within the Special Collections at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in our reading room, and not digitally available through the World Wide Web.

Summary Information

Repository
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Special Collections
Title
Chattanooga Civic Chorus Collection
ID
MS 009
Date [inclusive]
1932-1955
Extent
2.5 Linear feet 3 Boxes
Language
English
Abstract
Programs, marketing materials, photographs, newspaper clippings, and scrapbooks documenting the history of the Chattanooga Civic Chorus. Materials date from the group's founding in 1930 to 1955.

Preferred Citation note

The Chattanooga Civic Chorus Collection, MS 009, Special Collections, Lupton Library, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

The Cadek Choral Society was organized in 1930 in memory of Joseph O. Cadek, founder of the Cadek Conservatory of Music of the University of Chattanooga. The group was renamed the Chattanooga Civic Chorus in 1939. The mission of the chorus was to present quality local entertainment, promote choral works, and to provide training to local amateur singers. Each member was required to pass a vocal test, pay monthly membership fees, and purchase his or her own music. The chorus invited guest soloists – some famous – to perform major classical works each season. Membership swelled to as many as 400 at the society’s height. During this period, it was regarded as the best amateur group of singers in the southern United States. Membership declined during the 1950s, and the chorus disbanded in 1957.

The Chattanooga Civic Chorus was founded by J. Oscar Miller, professor of voice at the University of Chattanooga. The Chattanooga Symphony Orchestra had its roots in the small group of musicians who accompanied the chorus. In 1950, the Chattanooga Civic Chorus and the Symphony Association merged to form a single organization, the Chattanooga Philharmonic Association, Inc.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

Programs, marketing materials, photographs, newspaper clippings, and scrapbooks documenting the history of the Chattanooga Civic Chorus (also known as the Cadek Choral Society). Materials date from the group’s founding in 1930 to 1955.

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement note

Series 1: Organizational Documents

Series 2: Programs, 1931-1955

Series 3: Marketing and Campaign Materials, 1943-1951

Series 4: Correspondence, 1948

Series 5: Photographs

Series 6: Newspaper Clippings

Series 7: Miscellaneous

Series 8: Scrapbooks

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Special Collections June 4, 2010

615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN, 37403
423.425.2186
archives@utc.edu

Revision Description

 Revised for the Archivist's Toolkit by Chapel Cowden. 5/26/2011

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research. Patrons must read and sign the "Rules for Use" form available in the Special Collections. Please contact the Special Collections of Lupton Library to use this collection.

Publication Rights

The copyright interests in the Chattanooga Civic Chorus Collection have not been transferred to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. For further information, see the section on copyright and publishing on the web site for the Special Collections, under "Policies".

Provenance

The Chattanooga Civic Chorus Collection was acquired by the Lupton Library and UTC from Patricia Miller Murphy in June, 1975.

Processing Information note

Collection arranged and described by Sarah Copeland, 2010.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Personal Name(s)

  • Cadek, Joseph Ottokar, 1868-1927

Subject(s)

  • Choirs (Music)--Tennessee--Chattanooga
  • Music--Tennessee--Chattanooga--History and criticism-

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series 1: Organizational Documents 

Box
1
Folder
1

Return to Table of Contents »


Series 2: Programs 

Programs 1931-1948 


    Box Folder
Text   1 2

Programs 1949-1955 


    Box Folder
Text   1 3

Return to Table of Contents »


Series 3: Marketing and Campaign Materials 1943-1951 

Box
1
Folder
4

Return to Table of Contents »


Series 4: Correspondence 1948 

Box
1
Folder
5

Return to Table of Contents »


Series 5: Photographs 

Box
1
Folder
6

Return to Table of Contents »


Series 6: Newspaper Clippings 

Box
1
Folder
7

Return to Table of Contents »


Series 7: Miscellaneous 

Box
1
Folder
8

Return to Table of Contents »


Series 8: Scrapbooks 

Box

Scrapbook (1934-1935) 

2

Scrapbook (1935-1936) 

2

Scrapbook (1936-1939) 

2

Scrapbook (1939-1943) 

2

J.Oscar Miller 20th Anniversary Scrapbook (May 8, 1950) 

2

Scrapbook (1943-1948) 

3

Scrapbook (1949-1950) 

3

Return to Table of Contents »