Hixson, Fred W. (1874-)
Fred Whitlo Hixson (1874-1924) was born on November 24 in Dover Hills, Indiana. As a child Hixson was an accomplished student, passing the examination for a teaching certificate at the age of thirteen. In 1894 he enrolled in Depauw University. He took time off between his sophomore and junior year to teach in Monrovia, Illinois. During this time he gained a preacher's license and served the Brick Church upon returning to college.
In 1913 Fred Hixson received an honorary doctract from DePauw University and the following year became the president of the University of Chattanooga. During his six years of presidency at the university, Hixson made great strides in expanding the college, as well as improving its scholastic standards and relationship with the city.
In 1920 Hixson was selected as the president of Allegheny College. He was responsible for a ten year plan for the college that saw an enlargement of the campus, freshman dormitories, an auditorium, and a remodeling of Bentley Hall. He also served as secretary of the University Senate of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Helmreich, J.E., Through All the Years: A History of Allegheny College. Pensylvannia: Allegheny College, 2005.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents This collection is comprised of correspondence to Fred W. Hixson, a University of Chattanooga President, and between his son, Jerome C. Hixson and Lupton Patten and Chancellor Fred O'Bear, ranging from 1914 to 1982. Also included is a small section from Jerome's autobiography that details his family's time in Chattanooga and their association with many prominent citizens (primarily the Patten family). A photograph of Edith Manker Patten, friend of Jerome's parents, and correspondence from her...