Skip to main content

Nat and Bucky Hughes collection of Chattanooga research notes, photographs, and publications

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-086
The Nat and Bucky Hughes collection of Chattanooga research notes, photographs, and publications includes research notes, photographs, pamphlets, books, and articles collected by Chattanooga, Tennessee historian Nathaniel C. Hughes. Materials in the collection range from 1861 to 1945 and primarily focus on United States military history.

Dates

  • circa 1954-2002

Creator

Language of Materials

This collection contains materials in English.

Conditions Governing Access

The Nat and Bucky Hughes collection of Chattanooga research notes, photographs, and publications is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Research notes and photographs in the Nat and Bucky Hughes collection of Chattanooga research notes, photographs, and publications are in the public domain and may used without copyright restriction. Published materials in the Nat and Bucky Hughes collection of Chattanooga research notes, photographs, and publications are under copyright.

Extent

6.5 Linear Feet (9 Boxes)

Biographical / Historical

Nathaniel Cheairs Hughes (1930-2012) was a native of Chattanooga, and received his B.A. in history from Yale University in 1953, a master’s degree and his doctorate degree in history from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1956. Dr. Hughes began his educational career in 1959, serving for three years at the Webb School in Bell Buckle, Tennessee. He was appointed headmaster of St. Mary’s Episcopal School in Memphis, in 1962, where he served for more than 11 years. In 1973, Dr. Hughes moved with his wife, the former Buckner (Bucky) Latimore and three children to Chattanooga to be the headmaster of the Girls Preparatory School (GPS), serving in that capacity for the next 14 years. Upon retiring in 1987, Dr. Hughes turned to his passion for history and writing. He authored 35 books, including fiction and non-fiction, and in 2000 was awarded the Charles L. Defour Award for a lifetime of achievement in the historiography of the American Civil War. Dr. Hughes was a member of the Tennessee Historical Society and the Southern Historical Association and was past-president of the Tennessee Association of Independent Schools.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Nat and Bucky Hughes donated their collection of research notes, photographs, and publications to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on 2004 April 6.
Title
Nat and Bucky Hughes collection of Chattanooga research notes, photographs, and publications
Status
under_revision
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections repository

Contact:
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga Tennessee 37403 USA
(423) 425-4503