The Chattanooga Area Library Association records collection contains correspondence, directories, newsletters, and meeting minutes documenting the functions of the organizations from 1970 to 1996.
Biographical / Historical
The Chattanooga Area Library Association was formed in December 11, 1937, for the purpose of professional development, networking, and strengthening the library profession in the Chattanooga area. At the time of its organization, it was called the Chattanooga Library Club; it operated as such from 1937 until December 1939, when it fell dormant. It was reorganized in 1945 under the name Chattanooga-Hamilton County Library Association. The CALA history – presented to the association on November 3, 1955, by Bertie Wenning (included in this collection) – states that the official records prior to May 1948 have been lost. In 1951, the organization changed its name to The Chattanooga Area Library Association (or CALA).
The group appears to have remained active continuously from 1951 until the present. It holds regular meetings focusing on a variety of topics of interest to local librarians. Membership fluctuates between 30 and 100+ persons, including academic, public, school, and special librarians.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Chattanooga Area Library Association records collection was deposited with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on an unknown date by an unknown source.