This collection consists of photographs and numerous newspaper clippings and articles about the Cadek Conservatory, performances by and at the Conservatory, Cadek family members, and faculty at the conservatory, particularly J. Oscar Miller. There are also programs from performances by ensembles within the Conservatory as well as the Chattanooga Music Club. Items from the collection date from the late 1920s to the early 1980s.
The Cadek Conservatory of Music was founded in 1904 by Joseph Ottokar Cadek, who had emigrated to America from Europe in the late 19th century. The Conservatory was dedicated to training individuals in the fine arts and fostering musical awareness in the entire community. By 1927, the year of his death, Professor Cadek's high ideals in teaching and his courageous efforts in developing the community's interest in music had resulted in a level of artistic growth which was unusual in the South at that time. Since it's beginning in 1904, the service which the Conservatory has rendered in the cultural development of this community has firmly established its reputation of integrity and excellence.
The Conservatory became affiliated with the University of Chattanooga in 1935, forming the University's music department. It established the degrees bachelor of music and bachelor of arts with a music major, and became a member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
In 1945, Harold J. Cadek was appointed director of the Cadek Conservatory of Music and chairman of the University of Chattanooga Music Department. Upon the death of Dean Cadek in 1973, Dr. Peter Gerschefski, Head of the University or Tennessee at Chattanooga Music Department assumed the directorship of the Conservatory. Dr. Paul Shurtz was appointed director in 2002.
In 1978, Cadek Conservatory gained full membership as a Non-Degree Granting Institution of the National Association of Schools of Music. In 1986, it was granted associate membership in the National Guild of Community Schools of the Arts, and was promoted to certified membership in 1989.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was deposited with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on an unknown date by an unknown source.