The Alabama and Georgia land grant deeds collection consists of land grants from Georgia and Alabama dating from 1844 to 1911. These grants document the amount of land to be granted, to whom it would be granted, and the autorization for the grant. The Georgia grants also document whether or not the land was surveyed. All the land granted and surveyed in the Georgia documents was situated in Cherokee Co., Georgia. The Alabama land grants are for land in Huntsville or Montgomery, Alabama.
Conditions Governing Access
The Alabama and Georgia land grant deeds collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Alabama and Georgia land grant deeds collection is in the public domain and may used without copyright restriction.
John J. Manker served on the Board of Trustees in 1886, the same year that he signed the original charter for the establishment of Chattanooga University (now the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga). He served as trustee for the university until his death in 1916. He was also a faculty member of the University in the late 1800's, teaching divinity and religion. He is connected with the Patten family, another university benefactor: His daughter, Edith Manker, married John A. Patten.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Manker Family donated the Alabama and Georgia land grant deeds collection to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga in the 1990s.