Biographical / Historical
Culver H. Smith (1896-1979) joined the faculty of the History Department at the University of Chattanooga in 1932. A native of North Carolina, Dr. Smith had degrees from Trinity University, Yale University, and a Ph.D from Duke University. In addition to his tenure at the University of Chattanooga, Dr. Smith was also a visiting professor at Duke University, and the Universities of Kentucky, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Dr. Smith retired from the University of Chattanooga in 1966, but continued to do research and publish, including his book, Press, Politics and Patronage, published by the University of Georgia Press in 1977. He was considered an expert on foreign policy and the role of newspapers in American history. Serving as Head of the History Department at the University of Chattanooga, Dr. Smith stepped down from this role in 1961. In 1966 he officially retired from the University. Dr. Smith was also involved with local historical and cultural organizations, including the Chattanooga Area Historical Association, and the Chattanooga Symphony and the Chattanooga Opera Association.