Au Panier Fleuri Inc.
- Existence: 1905-1922
In 1905, Sarah and Eleanor Hewitt and Constance Parsons opened a shop called Au Panier Fleuri to sell decorative home accessories inspired by the Cooper Union Museum collections and designed by students from the Cooper Union Women’s Art School. Arguably this shop could be called America’s first museum shop.
The shop was a huge success, and after it was sold in 1922, a $20,000 fund was formed to purchase objects for the museum. Named the Au Panier Fleuri Fund, it was used for almost seventy-five years to acquire hundreds of objects, primarily textiles.