Chattanooga College of Law
- Existence: 1910-1960
The Chattanooga College of Law was organized in 1910 by Charles T. Evans in response to the dissolution of the law school at the University of CHattanooga. The school's faculty was made up of practicing attorneys and judges. The school closed in 1946 after World War II had drastically reduced the number of students but reopened under new management in 1947. Changes to student fund eligibility and tightening of standards on the Tennessee Bar examination led the school to close for good in 1960.
Notable graduates from the Chattanooga College of Law included Alexander Guerry ('14), future headmaster of Baylor School; president of the University of Chattanooga; and vice-chancellor of the University of the South. E.B. Baker ('28), a talented trial lawyer, and John Stophel ('55), member of one of Chattanooga's prominent law firms, Chambliss Bahner and Stophel, were both excellent lawyers and community leaders.
CitationSummers, Jeery H. "Chattanooga;s Law School Thrived Until 1960." Chattanooga Times Free Press. (November 30, 2014). http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/opinion/columns/story/2014/nov/30/chattanoogas-law-school-thrived-until-1960/275560/.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Scope and Contents This collection contains Coca Cola and Royal Crown Cola advertisements and bottles, photographs of Chattanooga citizens and publications and ephemera relating to Chattanooga and the surrounding area from, circa 1900 to 1995.