John T. Wilder papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains correspondence and military records regarding Brigadier General Wilder's service in the Union Army during the American Civil War from 1861 to 1865 as well as personal correspondence and papers dating from 1865 to 1937.
- Wilder, John Thomas (1830-1917) (Creator, Person)
Language of Materials
This collection contains materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright status of this collection has not been evaluated.
Biographical / Historical
John T. Wilder was born in Hunter, New York, but began his career as an industrialist in Ohio and Indiana. At the outbreak of the United States Civil War, Wilder closed his foundry in Greensburg, Indiana and enlisted in the United States Army Indiana Infantry Regiment. Because of his leadership skills he was consistently promoted, eventually commanding the 17th Indiana Infantry Regiment as a Lieutenant Colonel. During the war he served in Virginia, Kentucky, Georgia, and Tennessee. Wilder was among the first officers to mount his troops and to supply them with Spencer Repeating Rifles, which they used to great effect in the Battle of Chickamauga in Georgia.
Wilder and his troops would become known as "Wilder's Lightning Brigade." Wilder was promoted to the brevet rank of Brigadier General in 1864. After the war, Wilder and his family moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee and served as postmaster and briefly as mayor of the town. Wilder also founded the Roane Iron Company in Rockwood, Tennessee and built the Cloudland Hotel located near Johnson City, Tennessee.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 container)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Edith Wilder Scott, daughter of John and Martha Wilder, donated her father's correspondence and papers to the University of Chattanooga on 1958 January 23.
Existence and Location of Copies
Digital reproductions of the collection are available electronically at https://digital-collections.library.utc.edu/digital/collection/p16877coll1.
Processing of this collection is complete.
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park (Ga. and Tenn.)
- Chickamauga, Battle of, Ga., 1863
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877)
- Roane Iron Company
- Shiloh, Battle of, Tenn., 1862
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army of the Cumberland
- United States. Army. Corps, 14th
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
- United States. Army. Wilder's Brigade
- Wilder, John Thomas (1830-1917)
- Wilder, Martha (Martha Jane Stewart, 1837-1892)
- John T. Wilder papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description