Skip to main content

LeRoy A. Martin papers

 Collection
Identifier: UA-04-01-10

Scope and Contents

This series documents the activities of LeRoy A. Martin, president of the University of Chattanooga from 1959 through 1966. The dates of the files within this collection range from 1944-1969, though the bulk of the files relate to LeRoy A. Martin's years as the president of the University of Chattanooga. He employed an alphabetical filing system using alphabetical office files which include a wide range of subjects and document types, including correspondence, reports, schedules, leaflets, newspapers, photographs, memorandum and others. The subject matter of this series pertains to the administration of the University of Chattanooga and Martin's presidency. During his tenure, LeRoy A. Martin focused on revamping the strategy of the development offices at the University of Chattanooga through the Development and Executive committees, which most notably accomplished the planning, building and dedication of the Maclellan gymnasium. Additionally, a substantial topic represented in these files is the desegregation of the University of Chattanooga in 1964, which LeRoy A. Martin significantly promoted. Also during his presidency, the University of Chattanooga had its 75th anniversary celebration.

Dates

  • 1948 October 4-1969 July 30

Creator

Language of Materials

This series contains materials in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This series is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright status of this series has not been evaluated.

Biographical / Historical

LeRoy A. Martin was born in Morristown, Tennessee in 1901. His affiliation with the University of Chattanooga began early in his life, as he graduated from the institution in 1924. After pursuing theology degrees from Boston University and Drew University in Madison, New Jersey, Martin became a Methodist minister. He served as University Pastor at Drew University for eight years before returning to Tennesse in 1950 to assume the role of President at Tennessee Wesleyan College in Athens. He became President of the University of Chattanooga in 1959 and held the role until 1966. After stepping down as President, Martin remained at the university as the John H. Race Professor of Classics until his death in 1971.

Extent

2.52 Linear Feet (6 containers)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This series was deposited with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on an unknown date by an unknown source.

Processing Information

Processing of this series is complete.
Title
LeRoy A. Martin papers
Status
Completed
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collection Area Details

Part of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Archives Collection Area

Contact:
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga Tennessee 37403 USA
423-425-4503