Chattanooga Law School records
Scope and Contents
This series contains index cards listing matriculates and graduates of the Law School, a course catalog, articles of agreement with Grant University, newspaper clippings, and a faculty roster dating from 1898 to 1910.
Language of Materials
This series contains materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This series is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This series is free of copyright under the laws of the United States.
Biographical / Historical
Chattanooga Law School was organized in 1898 by John William Farr, Jr. who operated as both dean and general manager of the institution. In August 1898, the school established a legal agreement with Grant University that allowed for the use of space within Grant University's building, Old Main, for lectures, study, and classes. The agreement also established a reciprical arrangement betweeen the two institutions in which students from Grant University could attend select classes from the Law School and vice versa. In 1901, Charles Rountree Evans became dean of the school. In subsequent years, the distinctions between Grant University and Chattanooga Law School became less clear, with a 1909 course catalog published by the recently renamed University of Chattanooga referring to the Law School as the University of Chattanooga Department of Law and Chattanooga Law School interchangeably.
Chattanooga Law School's faculty was comprised of attorneys and judges and the curriculum included courses on criminal law, personal properity, equity jurisprudence, legal ethics, and constitutional law. The two year program awarded bachelor of laws (LL.B, legum baccalaureus) degrees.
Chattanooga Law School was discontinued in 1910 along with other professional schools loosely affiliated with the University including the School of Theology and Chattanooga Medical College, as the University of Chattanooga renewed its focus on four-year undergraduate programming.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 container)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This series was deposited with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on an unknown date by an unknown source.
Processing of this series is in progress.
- Chattanooga Law School records
- Under Revision
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description