University of Chattanooga School of Theology records
Collection — Box: UA-00-01-04 001
Scope and Contents
This series contains a grade book, faculty meeting minutes, a faculty roster for the School fo Theology dating from 1890 to 1910. It also contains speech notes on the history of the School of Theology titled "The School of Theology in Grant University and The University of Chattanooga" by Roy L. Howard, presented at the meeting of the Southeastern Jurisdiction Historical Society at Tennessee Wesleyan College, 2008 July 9.
Language of Materials
This series contains materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This series is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This series is free of copyright under the laws of the United States.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Chattanooga School of Theology opened in 1886 and operated as semi-autonomous professional school affiliated with the University of Chattanooga until closing in 1910. In 1889 when Chattanooga University merged with East Tennessee Wesleyan University to become Grant University, classes in theology moved to the Athens, Tennessee campus only to be relocated to Chattanooga again in 1982 to compensate for the liberal arts college moving to Athens. The faculty of the school consisted of clergy from the Methodist Episcopal Church, including George T. Newcomb as dean for most of the schools existence. The curriculum included classes in systematic theology, practical theology, evangelical theology, and historical theology, with a terminal bachelor of sacred theology (STB) degree offered after three years of study.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 container)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This series was deposited with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on an unknown date by an unknown source.
Processing of this series is in progress.
- University of Chattanooga School of Theology records
- Under Revision
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description