University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Women's Club yearbooks and records
Scope and Contents
This series contains yearbooks, membership records, meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, memorandums, and other materials created by the Women's Club from 1947 to 1989.
Conditions Governing Access
This series is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright status of this series has not been evaluated.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Women's Club began in 1947, after a tea held by Alma Lockmiller, the wife of then-president David A. Lockmiller to welcome the wives of faculty and staff who joined the University in fall of 1946 or later. During that social event, it was decided that a club should be organized, with membership open to all women employed by the university and the wives of all men similarly employed. During the 1940s and 1950s, the Women's club met four times a year and also organized interest groups that met more regularly, including groups for: The University of Chattanooga Shakespeare Garden, bridge, canasta, books, and sewing. Although the activities and interest groups changed over the years, the Women's Club, and it's mission remained largely the same, with the 1988-1989 bylaws stating that the purposes of the group were "to welcome new members into the social framework of University activity" and "to assume social responsibility for a continuing organized social program for the club."
University of Chattanooga Women's Club meeting minutes book, 1947-1961.
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Women's Club yearbook, 1988-1989.
1.26 Linear Feet (3 containers)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This series was deposited with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on an unknown date by an unknown source.
Processing of this series is in progress.
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Women's Club yearbooks and records
- Under Revision
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description