University of Chattanooga Industrial Research Institute records
Scope and Contents
This series contains records pertaining to the Industrial Research Institute, from 1945 to 1965.
Conditions Governing Access
This series is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright status of this series has not been evaluated.
Biographical / Historical
The Industrial Research Institute opened in 1945 as a division of the University of Chattanooga. Located on Baldwin Street (known today as Campus Drive) the facility contained offices and laboratories. An annex housing additional laboratories was completed in 1947. The International Research Institute coordinated with the Chemistry, Physics, Geology, and Biology departments to assist in the training of research specialists. Additionally, it cooperated with industries in the development of new products, new and better uses for known materials, and in bringing about more efficient and economical manufacturing processes. Both private-sector industries and government agencies sponsored research projects at the institute. In 1960, the Industrial Research Institute consisted of two divisions--the Research Division and the Analytical Division. The Research Division closed in 1960, and the Analytical Division continued to operate for a few more years.
University of Chattanooga Board of Trustees minutes, 1960 June 6, pages 6-7. https://digital-collections.library.utc.edu/digital/collection/p16877coll25/id/1431/rec/52.
University of Chattanooga Bulletin, 1950-1951, pages 31-32. https://digital-collections.library.utc.edu/digital/collection/p16877coll15/id/5710/rec/1.
0.46 Linear Feet (2 containers)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This series was deposited with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on an unknown date by an unknown source.
Processing of this series is in progress.
- University of Chattanooga Industrial Research Institute records
- Under Revision
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description