Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents This collection contains research notes, correspondence, clippings, histories, photographs, receipts, deeds, and research notes on the topics of Brainerd Mission and the Cherokee Indians that were created or collected by Penelope Johnson Allen primarily from 1933 to 1976. The collection also documents the historian's work with the Daughters of the American Revolution to preserve the cemetery at Brainerd Mission in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Scope and Contents This collection includes material relating to the Cherokee Indians and their removal; the Brainerd Mission; the Civil War; the South; the United Daughters of the Confederacy; historical documents (including two letters from Teddy Roosevelt), publications and journals, and literature and art. Also includes materials relating to Chattanooga lawyer and historian, Charles McGuffey (1842-1916), and this portion includes several letters and documents pertaining to his grandfather, the noted...
Scope and Contents This collection includes correspondence, financial records, scrapbooks, and other personal papers as well as manuscripts and drafts of books, articles, and poetry authored by Robert Sparks Walker, a Chattanooga naturalist, writer, poet, and local historian dating from 1896 to 1962. Highlights of this collection include the manuscript and dummies for Walker's Pulitzer Prize nominated book, Torchlights to the Cherokees: The Brainerd Mission.
- Names: Brainerd Mission X
- Cherokee Indians -- Missions 2
- History -- Tennessee -- Chattanooga 2
- American literature -- Southern States 1
- Appalachian Region, Southern -- Social life and customs 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Diaries 1
- Environmentalism -- United States 1
- Historic sites -- Conservation and restoration 1
- Horticulturists 1
- Natural history -- Tennessee 1
- Naturalists 1
- Naturalists -- United States -- Correspondence 1
- Poets, American -- 20th century -- Diaries 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1 ∧ less