Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Collection — Box: UA-00-01-01 001
Scope and Contents This series contains newspaper clippings, course catalogs, legal documents and other records regarding Chattanooga University from 1883 to 1930. Several legal documents pertain to the Methodist Episcopal Church Board of Education, the Freedmen's Aid and Southern Education Society and the involvement of these two entities in the foundation of Chattanooga University. A substantial portion of this series also contains newspaper clippings and a history manuscript pertaining to the controversy...
Scope and Contents This series documents the activities of LeRoy A. Martin, president of the University of Chattanooga from 1959 through 1966. The dates of the files within this collection range from 1944-1969, though the bulk of the files relate to LeRoy A. Martin's years as the president of the University of Chattanooga. He employed an alphabetical filing system using alphabetical office files which include a wide range of subjects and document types, including correspondence, reports, schedules, leaflets,...
Dates: 1948 October 4-1969 July 30
- Subject: Segregation in higher education -- United States X
- Christian universities and colleges -- United States 1
- Civil rights movements -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century 1
- College presidents 1
- College students -- Tennessee -- Chattanooga 1
- Race relations -- Religious aspects -- Methodist Episcopal Church 1
- Chattanooga University 1
- Freedmen's Aid and Southern Education Society 1
- Lewis, Edward S., 1855-1934 1
- Martin, LeRoy A. (LeRoy Albert) 1